What is your name and what condition-specific team do you work on?
My name is Mikey Lewis and I’m a part of the Training Team. My background is in Biology and Healthcare Management.
Why do you work at Pack Health? What’s your favorite part of your job? Where do you get your inspiration?
Pack Health allows me to make a difference in people’s lives. If I’m able to support somebody and help them achieve the goals they have for themselves, then I feel as if I am having a positive impact on the world!
What’s your favorite healthy food and why? Share a recipe with us!
Turkey Chili! It’s super easy to make and there is a lot of variety with the type of beans and veggies you use. This is my favorite way to prepare it, but you can easily substitute the beans and veggies for your favorites!
- Ground Turkey
- 1-2 tbsp. diced garlic
- 1-2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 can kidney beans
- 1 can black beans
- 1 onion
- 1 jalapeno
- 1 bell pepper
- 1 tomato
- 1 packet of taco seasoning
- Desired toppings
- Start by dicing all the veggies. Then, rinse and strain the canned beans and set them to the side.
- Using a large pot, add 1-2 tbsp. of olive oil and some diced garlic on med-high heat until fragrant (2-3 minutes).
- Add in and the ground turkey and brown (5-10 minutes).
- Once browned, add in taco seasoning and diced veggies and cook until veggies soften a little (5 minutes).
- Next, add in beans and 1 1/2 cups water. Bring water to a boil and then simmer for a few hours. Season to taste and top with some avocado and low-fat sour cream!
What’s your favorite way to stay active and why?
Lifting weights. It’s very rewarding to see yourself getting stronger as you go up in the amount of weight you can lift!
How else do you practice self-care?
I enjoy spending my free time making plans with friends, treating myself to a meal at a nice restaurant, and playing video games!
What advice do you have for someone just joining the program?
Start small and with things that you have lots of energy to change. The most beneficial thing to success is building up confidence with small wins. Then once you feel more empowered in your health, you will be ready to tackle your biggest challenges!
Share a member story with us!
Mrs. H was signed up by her doctor for a Hypertension program. When I first contacted her, she decided she was not interested in participating. The next week Mrs. H called me back and decided that, after giving it more thought, she might need help controlling her Hypertension after all. Over the course of the program, she started going on several walks a week, drinking more water, and cooking with seasonings other than salt. Mrs. H was able to lose 15 lbs, and bring her average blood pressure down by over 20 points! All because she asked for and was willing to receive help to overcome her challenges!